These new-style “card in a box” cards are all the rage at the moment. You just have to look on Pinterest to see how prevalent they are – my feed at least is full of them! So it was inevitable that I would have to at least give it a go. And after watching Monica’s tutorial video at Monica’s Passions and seeing how quick and easy they are it was a done deal!
Here is my first attempt:
From the side:
And together with the custom-made envelope:
You can see better in this picture that I used a gilded sentiment on the card flap, which adds a bit more glamour to it:
The gilding flakes that I used are multi-coloured ones which add more interest to the image, but you can get plain gold or plain silver if you prefer that look. (Or a whole bunch of other colours, depending on your preferences, though I believe they are all metallic.) Using gilding flakes just gives that extra touch of luxury in my opinion, and because you can use gilding flakes with any of your existing stamps by “inking” them up with the glue, it adds a whole new dimension to your rubber stamp collection. Suddenly, if you can stamp it, you can foil it! And it really is no more difficult than “standard” stamping, though it can be messier.
This card is for the lovely Nicola, whose birthday is on the 22nd. I was going to wait until then to share the card with you so she didn’t see it on here first, but she’s now on holiday for a couple of weeks and cheekily opened her card before she went! Little monkey! But she adored her card and thought it was amazing, which is lovely to hear 🙂 I might let her off from opening it early for that sort of reaction! She said she couldn’t resist.
I kept it really simple for my first attempt at this style of card, and once the basic box was made I raided my (not insubstantial) box of embellishments to decorate it up. Nicola loves flowers and butterflies, so I went with that as a theme for the card, and used a stamped and punched butterfly using the Papillon Potpourri stamp set and Elegant Butterfly punch to accessorise. I would have used more butterflies but I didn’t want to overwhelm the simplicity of the card by overloading it.
The sentiment is from a retired set but any sentiment works on these cards – I have a thank you card to share with you on Tuesday which I love. And the presents and flowers work towards a general happy birthday theme, and I loved that the green presents toned well with the garden colours. The glittery flower is amazing in the flesh, as it were, and the sparkle is mega! The netted butterfly on the back panel came from a packet of embellishments which I bought fairly recently, but these would also be really easy to make with a little bit of tights-type material (even an old pair of tights!) and some craft wire. You could always colour the butterflies wings with your inkpads or reinkers to colour-match them to the project.
I attached all of the decorations using the Tombow multi-purpose adhesive. This stuff is great – really strong and dries quickly. This is also what I used to stick the box tabs and the central embellishment supports together. Some of the decorations were added straight onto the base card, and then to get some movement and depth and height to the card I attached some bits to 1/2cm strips of acetate (or SU window sheets) which wave in the breeze and are seethrough so don’t add weight to the view of the card.
The card folds flat to go into an envelope, but of course, it is a non-standard card size (14cm x 15cm when flattened, assuming no embellishments escape over the edges of the card), so I used the gorgeous Envelope Punch Board to make a coordinating custom envelope from Designer Series Paper from the Regals colour family paper stack:
I gilded and cut out a Designer Label from white cardstock and used this as my “address label” as the card was to be hand delivered. The double-sided nature of the DSP stacks from Stampin’ Up! mean that even the inside of the envelope was pretty:
I stuck the flap closed with washi tape when the card was inside. The card has a panel of white cardstock attached to the back panel (the non-folded one) to allow for a message to be added and this works great. I used the sentiment “Make a Wish” from the new Perfect Pennants stamp set as I thought this worked really well for this card. I didn’t take a picture of that bit, though!
I hope that you like my first attempt at a card in a box. I will be back on Tuesday to show you my second go. I am loving how simple yet “wow” these cards are, so you might well see a lot of them in my Christmas stash, as I have seen some amazing snowflake-adorned versions, and I have lots of ready made embellishments that would look fabulous! I plan to try out a set of measurements that I have found for a card in a box which fits into a standard A6 envelope, too, so I will let you know how I get on with that one. I wonder if it will have as much impact as this size does. I’m sure it will, as the pictures I have seen look good, but it will be fun finding out! Join me here on Tuesday for the next “installment”!
Click each resource link to see other entries that reference it.
Stamp Set: Papillon Potpourri.
Colour: Old Olive.